Transport from the Athens International Airport (El. Venizelos) to the centre of Athens and Piraeus
The new Athens International Airport (El. Venizelos) is located about 30 kilometers from downtown Athens. Public transport to Athens and the port of Piraeus is provided by bus, metro or taxi. More information on how to reach Athens / Piraeus from Athens airport is given below.
Bus – Public transport
Conference participants staying in Piraeus ( Map A )
BY BUS : Take the bus number X96 from the Arrivals Level, between Exits 4 and 5, to get at the centre of Piraeus (Map A). Get off at Dimotiko station, or at HSAP station or at the end of the route, depending on the hotel you are staying (Map A and Map 2). You can continue on foot or by taxi to your final destination. The ticket costs 6€ per person, while the estimated travel time is 90 minutes. Service is provided on a non-stop basis seven days a week (24/7 operation).
BY METRO : Use Metro Line 3 from Airport. At Monastiraki station you must change to Metro Line 1 to arrive at Piraeus Port (Map A). You can reach your hotel by taxi or by foot (Map 2). The estimated travel time is 70 minutes. The ticket costs 10€, while a group ticket for two (2) persons costs 18€. The first train from Airport departs at 06:33, while the last train departs at 23:33.
BY TAXI : Taxis are available 24/7, at the arrivals level between Exit 2 and Exit 3. The fare from Athens airport to Piraeus port is approximately:
· Day time (05:00-24:00) 50€
· Night time (24:00-05:00) 65€
BY SUBURBAN TRAIN : Athens International Airport is connected to Athens Central Railway Station (Larissis Station) and the port of Piraeus via the Suburban Rail. The ticket costs 8€. For more information please call (+30) 210 5272000.
Conference participants staying in downtown Athens ( Map B )
BY BUS : Take the bus number X95 from the Arrivals Level, between Exits 4 and 5, to get at the centre of Athens (Syntagma square, opposite the Parliament building – Map B). You can continue on foot or by taxi to your final destination. The ticket costs 6€ per person, while the estimated travel time is 60 minutes. Service is provided on a non-stop basis seven days a week (24/7 operation).
BY METRO : Use Metro Line 3 from Airport to get off at Syntagma. If necessary you can use Metro Line 2 to go from Syntagma to Omonia. You can reach your hotel by taxi or by foot (Map B). The estimated travel time is 60 minutes. The ticket costs 10€, while a group ticket for two (2) persons costs 18€. The first train from Airport departs at 06:33, while the last train departs at 23:33.
BY TAXI : Taxis are available 24/7, at the arrivals level between Exit 2 and Exit 3. The fare from Athens airport to the centre of Athens (Syntagma/Omonia) is approximately:
· Day time (05:00-24:00) 35€
· Night time (24:00-05:00) 50€
BY SUBURBAN TRAIN : Athens International Airport is connected to Athens Central Railway Station (Larissis Station) and the port of Piraeus via the Suburban Rail. For more information please call (+30) 210 5272000. The ticket costs 8€.
– Upon arrival at the airport terminal, you have to go through passport control. There is one line for EU Nationals and another one for Non-EU Nationals. Travelers from the US, Canada and Australia, no longer need a visa (check for your country). Next you have to pickup your baggage and, unless you have arrived via other European countries, go through customs control.
– All buses depart from the designated area on the inner curb side of the arrivals level of the Main Terminal Building exactly outside the Exit (doors 4-5). The cost of the express buses is €3.20 and the transfer on the ticket is valid for 24 hours from the time of validation on all forms of public transport (bus, metro, trolley). Tickets for the airport buses can be purchased at terminals, transport kiosks and from the driver. DO Validate your ticket by inserting it into the validating machine as soon as you board the vehicle or when you enter a metro station. Keep it safe till the end of your trip. Otherwise, you are liable to a €35 fine (paid on the spot). Both the Syntagma and the Piraeus buses run for 24 hours, generally every thirty minutes, but every 50 minutes after midnight.
– Taxis charge an extra 0,50 Euros per bag that you put into the trunk, plus 3 Euros for road tolls. During 05.00-24.00 hours, the meter (all taxis must use the meter) should be set for a single tariff rate. Double tariff is charged between 24.00-05.00 hours or for out-of-town destinations (Airport is not considered an out-of-town destination). It is usual in Athens, especially in rush hour, for a taxi to stop and pick up a second or even a third passenger charging each one full fare (it is not legal, but locals in a hurry rarely object). In Greece (except at airports) taxi ranks are hardly used. Therefore, at most times, locals who need a taxi will just stop the first one they see regardless of who has priority. For more information about taxis in Athens and Piraeus visit http://www.athensinfoguide.com/gettingaroundtaxis.htm
– If you need to change money and you didn’t do so in your country, you can change at the airport (the rates are much the same whether you are in the airport or downtown, see Euro exchange rates). When you get to downtown Athens you can change money at the banks and Exchange Bureaus around Syntagma and the Plaka. The rates are usually displayed at each location along with commission rates.
How to arrive at the Conference venue
The Conference will be held at the University of Piraeus, which is situated at 80 Karaoli and Dimitriou str, Piraeus. If you are staying in one of the conference participating hotels in Piraeus, the University is easily accessible on foot (see Map A above). If you are coming to the University from the center of Athens, you may arrive either by taxi (journey takes around 20-30 minutes from the center of Athens and costs approx. 10-15 euros), or use Metro Line 1 from Omonia square to arrive at the Piraeus port in 20-25 mins. The University is then 20 minutes walk from there (see Map A above).
Detailed Satellite images and Maps of the conference location from Google Maps:
The weather in Athens and Piraeus during summer is rather hot. The average temperature in mid-August is 28°C (with std. deviation 2°), usually reaching around 32°C in the afternoon. For real time weather conditions and forecasts you can visit the Hellenic National Meteorological Service.